Suggestions for Choosing a Doula
- Should be someone who is compatible with your lifestyle.
- Should be someone who is not affiliated with a particular doctor or hospital.
- Find out who her backup is in case the one you have chosen becomes unavailable.
- Find out her education and experience and ask for references.
- Question her about prenatal and postpartum visits.
- Does she have a consultation fee?
- Has she worked with your midwife, physician, been at any home births or at the hospital you have chosen.
- Discuss fees.
- Is she supportive of the father’s role and needs of the family?
- Does she have personal limits that she will or will not work with?
- What are the services she offers?
- Is she readily available? How can she be reached?
- Does she have other clients due near your due date?
- What is her training?
- Does she help you feel confident?
Main Doula Page